The CCAA replaces the AA-CSRT which was launched in May 2014 to recognize CSRT registered and associate members who have completed additional education and clinical training in the field of anesthesia to become an anesthesia assistant, who demonstrate involvement in professional development activities and are committed to maintaining proficiency and professionalism as an anesthesia assistant.
Purpose of the Certified Clinical Anesthesia Assistant (CCAA)
To recognize the additional knowledge and skills acquired by CSRT registered and associate members who have completed further education and clinical training in the field of anesthesia to become an anesthesia assistant.
- Registered members and associate members in good standing with the Society
- A registered member or an associate member who has the appropriate credential and license to practice from the individual’s provincial credentialing or licensing authority
- Have graduated from an anesthesia assistance program recognized by the CSRT OR have achieved equivalent clinical knowledge and skills (over 5 years) working exclusively in anesthesia and can provide an attestation from their immediate supervisor that they have achieved the competencies outlined in the 2016 National AA Competency Framework.
The applicant must
- Demonstrate involvement in professional development activities during the previous year for a minimum of 25 credits as outlined in the CSRT learning log
- Be committed to maintain proficiency and professionalism as an anesthesia assistant
- Continue to be a member is good standing with the Society
Applicants to the program must submit a completed application form and a personal professional portfolio to the CSRT. This portfolio must include evidence of the successful completion of a recognized anesthesia assistant program OR an attestation from the applicant’s immediate supervisor stating that the applicant has attained the competencies outlined in the 2016 National AA Competency Framework.
The applications will be reviewed and approved by the CSRT Board of Directors at their spring or fall meeting. Accepted RTs and eligible associate members will receive a suitable certificate and pin to confirm CCAA professional designation. In addition, their name will be published on the CSRT website. Application deadline is April 30th and September 30th of each year.
Maintaining the CCAA
Applicant must complete 25 professional development credits each year to be eligible and to maintain their CCAA status with the CSRT. For the purposes of the CCAA, the year will mirror the CSRT membership year and run from April 1 to March 31. Annually 10% of the members and associate member’s with the CCAA professional designation will be randomly selected to submit their personal professional portfolio to the CSRT for review. Registered and associate members with the CCAA designation that do not complete the required credits, or submit their portfolio upon request will be automatically removed from the CCAA designation.