Continuing Education (CE) / Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Activities
The Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists is committed to supporting the ongoing professional development of respiratory therapists. The CSRT is pleased to present a process for awarding CE/CPD credits credits to educational opportunities that support the CSRT’s commitment to providing quality continuing education opportunities for respiratory therapists.Continuing education offerings by industry, hospitals, or other organizations should include knowledge and information that is beyond the entry-to-practice knowledge of a respiratory therapist, unless the objectives are stated as being for review-only purposes. The number of CE/CPD credits will be awarded based on the scope of the offering relative to entry-to-practice knowledge.
Criteria for obtaining CSRT credits
For the purposes of obtaining CSRT credits for CE/CPD activities, the following criteria must be met:
- be relevant to respiratory therapists,
- be evidence-based,
- have clearly-articulated educational objectives indicating the intended outcomes of the education offering,
- be of sufficient scope to allow participants to meet the stated educational objectives of the offering,
- be delivered by a presenter with credentials relevant to the topic being presented,
- disclose any financial support or possible conflicts of interest,
- be at least 60 minutes in length, and must
- provide documentation to participants that clearly identifies the completion of the educational offering.
An application must be completed (available on CSRT web site). The following information must be provided:
- the name of the organization providing the CE/CPD activities
- costs to participants
- the name and credentials of the presenter
- the learning objectives
- a summary of the information being delivered during the CE/CPD activities
- links to the relevant evidence
- a description or sample of the documentation / certificate that will be provided to participants at the completion of the CE/CPD activities.
Applications must be received 45 days prior to the offering. A fee of $100 will be charged for the assessment of each educational offering. Please note that this fee may be waived for institutions (i.e. hospitals) who design and offer CE/CPD activities to their employees.
CE/CPD Credits for Conferences / Symposium
In the event that the CE/CPD activities is a conference or symposium with multiple lectures or sessions, the conference or symposium must meet the above criteria, plus the application must include a description of the criteria and process used to select lectures/sessions for presentation, and a list of each lecture/session, the presenter, and the presenters’ credentials. A fee of $250 will be charged for the assessment of conferences or symposiums.
Period of validity for CSRT CE/CPD Credits
The credits assigned by the CSRT will be valid for a period of five years if there are no changes or updates to the program. After a period of five years, the presenting organization must demonstrate ongoing relevance and currency of the material.
Participants will be able to maintain the credits earned through completion of the CE/CPD activities indefinitely.
Promotion of CE/CPD activities
The CSRT will maintain an active link to the educational offerings on its web site and will promote education offerings approved for continuing education credits.
Once the CSRT has granted continuing education credits to the educational offering, the presenting organization may indicate that the offering has been recognized by the CSRT with the use of the following phrase:
This educational offering has been approved for ___ professional development / continuing education credits by the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists. (----Name of provider of CE/CPD activity --- maintains all responsibility for this educational activity and its content).
To award CSRT credits you must fill out the Online Application Form and also complete the Payment Form at the top of this page.