Fellowship of the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists (FCSRT)
The Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists recognizes registered members who have reached a level of distinction in the practice of respiratory therapy, in their continuing professional development and in their contributions to the profession. The FCSRT designation was created to recognize registered members of the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists (CSRT) who have made a significant and consistent contribution to the development of the science and/or profession of respiratory therapy and who have made a commitment to lifelong learning by completing 25 CE/CPD credits per year.
To be eligible for the FCSRT designation, an individual must meet all of the following criteria:
- Must be a registered member in good standing with the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists for a minimum of the preceding five years, and
- Must have demonstrated leadership, influence and achievement beneficial to clinical practice, education, or research in respiratory therapy at a national and/or provincial level and possess documented evidence of the same, and
- Must commit to lifelong learning and demonstrate the same by having completed 25 credits of continuing education in the previous membership year (April 1-March 31). These credits must relate to practice and be beyond the entry-to-practice level for respiratory therapists, as outlined in the National Competency Framework for respiratory therapists, unless specifically undertaken as a refresher activity (e.g., for an individual changing their area of practice).
- Must have completed one or more of the following:
- a university degree
- certification in a specialized field of respiratory practice (i.e. asthma educator, anesthesia assistant, leadership etc.)
- equivalent clinical / professional experience (>10 years).
FCSRT Application Process
Applications will be completed online and must be accompanied by relevant supporting documentation:
- Current curriculum vitae or other supporting documentation that outlines the achievement of the eligibility requirements. This may include, but is not limited to, certificates of achievement, links to/citations for publications, URLs for websites, etc. demonstrating achievement of eligibility requirements.
- Three signed referral forms completed by three separate registered members in good standing of the CSRT (Referral forms are available on the CSRT website.)
Maintaining the FCSRT
To maintain the FCSRT designation, an individual must maintain all of the following criteria:
- Continue to be a registered member is good standing with the CSRT
- Complete 25 continuing education credits each membership year (April 1-March 31). Members will be provided access to a list of approved CSRT CE credits that is developed in accordance with the CSRT Policy on Determination of Credit for Continuing Professional Development Activities.
- Participate in the annual FCSRT audit, whenever selected (see below).
Some important information on FCSRT Maintenance Requirements Relating to CE Credits
- Activities that have not been accredited by the CSRT must meet the CSRT accreditation threshold as outlined here
- Preceptorship may only account for 5 credits of the total 25 credits.
- Annual workplace recertifications may only account for 5 credits of the total 25 credits.
Annual FCSRT Audit:
- Five percent (5%) of FCSRT certificate holders will be randomly selected each fall for an audit to ensure they continue to meet criteria described in section 5. FCSRT designation holders who do not demonstrate that they meet those requirements will have their FCSRT status revoked.
- An individual that has had their FCSRT revoked on grounds of not passing the audit may make a special request in writing to the CSRT Board of Directors to be considered for reinstatement.