Welcome to the CSRT Student Page!
This page was recently created to bring all information and resources for RT Students into one place on our website. We are still working on this page and will continue to add and develop sections.
The CSRT offers students premium educational and networking resources, as well as a long list of other member benefits.
About the CSRT and Student Membership
Learn about the CSRT's role and student membership
2022 CSRT Annual Student Info
Meet the CSRT Board of Directors Student Perspective Director: Gustavo Perez! Plus, here's what Student Members can look forward to in 2022-2023
La SCTR et l'adhésion en tant qu'étudiant
Découvrez le role de la SCTR et l'adhésion pour les étudiants
2022 - Infos pour étudiants : retour en classe
Informations de la SCTR pour les étudiants pour l'année 2022-2023
Student Membership & FAQ
Student Membership & FAQ
An individual who is training in a respiratory therapy program is eligible for CSRT Student Membership.
For a one-time low membership fee of $100, membership runs from the day the student joins to the end of the membership year (March 31st) in which they graduate.
CSRT Student Members benefit from and have access to:
- Receive a certificate of registry and pin upon the successful completion of the CBRC national certification examination
- Professional liability insurance coverage is extended to Students during their clinical year while working under the direct supervision of a respiratory therapist who is a CSRT member covered by professional liability insurance.
- PLI coverage is available FOR PURCHASE to new graduates who are CSRT members and are eligible for restricted licenses in their province, and have started working prior to passing the national exam.
- Online professional development education available through the member portal that includes online training, past webinars, access to courses, and other educational material
- Complimentary live webinars
- Access to discussion forums and workspaces through the member portal
- An online credit tracking platform available through the member portal to manage professional development activities
- Deeply discounted registration for the Annual CSRT Conference
- Online membership renewal and registration to CSRT events
- A monthly debit plan to facilitate paying for national association dues, provincial association dues and provincial licensing fees
- Volunteer opportunities to participate in the direction of the Society by sitting on the Board of Directors
- Advocacy efforts on behalf of members to promote national standards, to offer new opportunities for respiratory therapists and to ensure that health policy makers take into account the respiratory therapists perspective on healthcare policy
- National standards of practice and a code of ethical and professional conduct
- Preferred rates for various products and services through CSRT Affinity Partners
Professional liability insurance (PLI) for CSRT Student Members during their CLINICAL YEAR:
Professional liability insurance coverage is extended to Students during their clinical year while working under the direct supervision of a respiratory therapist who is a CSRT
member covered by professional liability insurance.
Professional liability insurance (PLI) for NEW GRADUATES:
PLI coverage is available FOR PURCHASE to new graduates who are CSRT members and are eligible for restricted licenses in their province, and have started working prior to passing the national exam.
An unsuccessful attempt at the National Certification Exam or failure to complete the exam within 12 months of graduation will mean the Professional Liability Insurance will expire at the end of the CSRT insurance policy term and the new graduate will be ineligible for PLI until successfully passing the National Certification Exam.
>> New Grads who are CSRT Student Members can purchase PLI through the Store inside the Member Portal. <<
If you are in an unregulated jurisdiction (BC,PEI, the Territories), please refer to CBRC exam eligibility requirements to earn the CSRT RRT credential.
If you have already written the CBRC exam, you must join as a Registered Member if you passed the exam and Associate Member if your attempt was unsuccessful.
If you are moving from a regulated province to an unregulated province (where the employer is the de facto regulator), you may be required to show proof of your valid CSRT membership.
If you are moving from an unregulated jurisdiction to a regulated province, you will be required to provide documentation in order to apply for a license. Please contact the regulatory body in the province you are interesting in working in to learn about their requirements.
Please note: each nominee must be a Student Member of the CSRT and a 1st year RT student of a 3-year program OR a 2nd year RT student of a 4-year program.
The current term is May 2022 to May 2024, a call for nominations will be issued in autumn 2023.
Join the CSRT as a Student Member
New Grads are eligible for Professional Liability Insurance! Information can be found on the FAQ section of this page.
Meet Your Student Voice: CSRT Board Member Gustavo Perez
Gustavo Perez: Student Perspective on the CSRT Board of Directors
My name is Gustavo, and I am your advocate on the Board of Directors of the CSRT.
I believe optimism and malleability are our greatest strengths, and we have an opportunity to step into the world of healthcare primed to expect and enact meaningful change.
The profession has come so far in such a short time, but we know there is much more to do. I believe the most significant changes start at the root, with the next generation of RTs. I want to keep advocating alongside all students for a more equitable, sustainable, and affordable health care system.
Whenever possible, I intend to vote with our collective future in mind.
Gustavo A. Perez (He/Him)
Student Respiratory Therapist, Conestoga College
BSc Health Studies, University of Waterloo
Find Your Program's Student Rep
|School / Program||Rep’s Name(s)|
|Algonquin College of Applied Arts & Technology||Rachel Hube|
|College of the North Atlantic - Newfoundland||Kaely Marques|
|Conestoga College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning||Hailey Simon, Sujith Vasanthakumar|
|Dalhousie University||Nicole Peterson|
|Fanshawe College of Applied Arts and Technology||Hailey Mohr, Camryn Van Hoof|
|La Cité||Désirée Pelletier Bordeleau|
|New Brunswick Community College||Matthew Gray|
|Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT)||Melanie Damphouse, Matthew Kwiatkowski|
|Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT)||Samantha McKey|
|St. Clair College||Melanie Byrne, Rebecca Bryans|
|The Michener Institute||Kaitlyn Evers, Gloria Han, Sahana Nirmaiyan, Isveni Sriskantharajah|
|Thompson Rivers University||Caitlin Pineau|
|University of Manitoba||Mikayla Barkman, Sara Pazernuik|
|Vanier College||Ange-Cédric N'Zi|
April 7, 2022 - Recording available in the CSRT Member Portal, under Video Library
CSRT Student Event: Find your Breath: Building Resiliency in the Respiratory Therapist
Presenter: Dr. Stephanie Dubois
Join us for a free virtual event focused on respiratory therapists entering the profession. Objectives:
- Define and build Awareness of what is Primary & Secondary Traumatic Stress, Vicarious Trauma, Compassion Fatigue, and Burnout
- What is the Impact on You
- Review Personal and Professional Strategies
- Discuss the Training of Others and Implementation
Log into the member portal and click on the Video Library to access the recording of this webinar.
Contests and Promos!
CSRT Back to School Contest
If you have not already done so, we invite you to join this Fall so that your name can be entered into draws to win prizes!
4 Prize Draws Annually:
- September 30th
- October 30th
- November 30th
- December 16th
The September, October and November draws are all for CASH. The September draw is for $50, October is $100 and November is $150. The earlier you register, the more draws you are entered in!
If you are a Student Member as of December 16th, you will be entered into a draw to win a conference prize pack, which includes free conference registration and $500 to go towards travel and accommodation!
RT Week Student Contest
This year, RT Week runs from October 23rd to 29th and we would like to see just how creative you can be with promoting the profession and educating the public about what you do. We are always so impressed with the amazing job students do at celebrating and promoting the profession each year!
You’re invited to take the initiative to be an ambassador for Respiratory Therapy on your campus and in your community. Each program has the opportunity to host a unique Respiratory Therapy Week.
The CSRT's “Best Respiratory Therapy Week” contest: Show us your RT Week activities for a chance to win coffee and doughnuts for your entire program. The contest is judged by the CSRT Board of Directors and the program they deem did the best job promoting the profession wins!
Deadline for submissions is November 7th, 2022. Look for communications about this from your student reps.
Wondering how to plan your RT Week activities? Take a look through our "How to guide" to help you get started.